"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it."
Norman Maclean

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blanked At The River

Blanked at The River
It is not easy to blank at the River. Especially when the river was flowing at full force, and I did just that this morning. BLANKED. Zero Catch. Duck Egg. But for this case, mine should be a big fat Dinosaur Egg. The nearest I got to a catch was a little peacock bass teasing the fly and getting me to strike even before it took the fly. Uncle Wong caught a peacock bass at the same time as Tan Yik. I could see their bamboo rods bending. Tan Yik caught a few more. My score remained an egg shaped zero.

As usual, we breakfast at Ah Hoe’s Kopi Stall. The kopi-O is still fragant and hot. Like every sunday when we had drank them. Ah Hoe should be proud of his kopi-O. Dry mee as usual from Ah Hock’s pretty daughter. Decided to take some pictures of the mee because I could not take one of a peacock Bass because I blanked.

Then went to Uncle Wong’s place to have a look at the progress of my LeoRod. Uncle Wong had painstakingly flame it in honey colour. He had meticulously recorded every stage of the rod making process in his Rod Crafting Book. Mine is Number 3.

My LeoRod taking shape at Uncle Wong's work bench.


This was how dark it was when Uncle Wong and I reached the River.


The valve technician had not over slept and had opened the valves and the River flowed at full force.






The resident spiderman cameraman, as usual on sundays, arrived early to set up is cameras to try and shoot some of the spiders and other insects waking up.


Spidercameraman setting up his cameras for his morning shoot.




You shoot it, I shoot you. And Uncle Wong shoot TY.




TY making another attempt for the sebaraus while we made our way to Ah Hoe's.






Railings at the river. In a remote place like this.
Sometimes I really wonder if it is really necessary to over protect everything.
It spoil the scenery of this beautiful place.


This is Ah Hoe.




Uncle Wong's plain water and kopi-O.


Ah Hock's daughter's mee-kia dry.






Not a single strand was left.




Uncle Wong showed me his antidote for boo poisoning. Which didn't work of course.




A length of split bamboo on the form.


A meticuleous record of the bamboo rods he is crafting.


This one is for me. 2007-003.










All heat treated and ready to be tapered.




CY's split bamboo is still in the store room.
With some spares for PH.

No comments: